Bus Driver/Activities Assistant
This position is responsible for driving Community minibus, van, or lightweight truck to transport residents to doctor appointments, banking, grocery shopping, and other miscellaneous activity programs.
- Support the mission, vision, and culture of the organization through positive communication and leadership.
- Contribute to Community relationships by demonstrating cooperation and professional conduct with residents, families, fellow associates, physicians, pharmacies and other vendors or persons.
- Contribute to team effort by being flexible in work assignments; by furnishing support; by taking initiative; and by understanding how this position affects and compliments all other Community positions.
- Able to maintain work pace appropriate to given work load. Perform activities on schedule while maintaining regular attendance and punctuality within specified tolerance.
- Operate radio or similar device to communicate with base station or other vehicles to report status of service.
- Assure the facility vehicles are clean and properly maintained.
- Keep records of trips and behavior of passengers.
- Fill the vehicle with gasoline at pre-approved service stations.
- Drive residents to events and programs according to the activity schedule.
- Drive residents to doctor appointments.
- Drive residents to do their banking, shopping or other scheduled errands.
- Assist residents in and out of the vehicle using the wheelchair life and/or stairs.
- Ensure residents are safely seated with seat belts or in wheelchair locking mechanisms.
- Account for all residents’ presence when leaving or returning to the Community.
- Call residents’ rooms for morning reminders.
- Assist residents in wheelchairs during activities outside the Community.
- Respond appropriately to changes in the work setting.
- Perform other related assignments as required.
- Be familiar with Northstar Senior Living Policies & Procedures Manual and Northstar Senior Living Associate Handbook.
- Assist the maintenance department.
- Act on constructive feedback by listening to supervisor(s), customers and peers and use it to improve performance.
- Maintain resident, employee, and community confidentiality.
- Respect Resident’s Rights.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Promote positive work environment that emphasizes teamwork.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff whenever needed.
- Maintain a clean motor vehicle report.
- To perform this job successfully, the associate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- May be required to hold valid First Aid Certification.
- Valid license to drive a passenger vehicle and a clean motor vehicle report.
- For California Driver’s License drivers, please see attached drug and alcohol testing procedures.
- Maintain mental alertness, attention, and concentration for necessary periods.
- Apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions (written, oral or diagrammatic).
- Adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards.
- Regularly required to sit and talk or listen.
- Able to stand, stoop and bend frequently, lift up to 50 pounds and push up to 50 pounds. Also must have the ability to talk, hear, sit, use hands and fingers, handle/feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust the focus of the eyes.
- Possess adequate physical stamina to move freely about the Community and assist residents where needed, including in emergency situations.
The physical demands described must be met by every associate. Reasonable accommodations may be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Must be willing and able to work required and scheduled shifts, including evenings, weekends, overtime and holidays.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.